Driver Licensing for minibuses

You are here

Driver licence entitlement and minibuses (between 9 and 16 passengers)

1) Licence includes category D or D1 without restrictions (obtained by taking a separate bus / minibus driving test)

Holder may drive any minibus in UK or Europe

2) Licence includes category D1 with restriction 101 (obtained automatically by taking a car driving test prior to 1997)

Holder may drive any minibus in UK or Europe, but not for Hire and Reward

3) Licence does not include category D or D1 (probably because car driving test taken after 1996)

Holder may not drive any minibus, unless eligible to drive as a volunteer (providing GVW does not exceed 3500kgs or 4250kgs if modified for disabled persons) – this dispensation for UK only

What is Hire and Reward?

Payment in cash or in kind, direct or indirect, which entitles a passenger to travel is Hire and Reward.

A few examples of indirect payment are given below:

1)A Travel Agent provides a "free" minibus travel service to the airport
2)A Nursing Home purchases its own minibus and provides outings for residents "free" of charge
3)A Hotel courtesy minibus

In all the above cases the business is charging their clients to provide a service other than transport.
However, the business pays for the transport out of that income.

Other requirements for a professional driver:

The holder of a licence including category D or D1 without restrictions, driving commercially, must also hold a driver’s CPC and a driver’s tachograph card (unless an analogue tachograph is used)

Copyright Minibus Options Ltd